Volver arriba
Menu

FAQ

How is alcohol absorbed in my body?

Alcohol is absorbed through the walls of the small intestine, before being transported throughout the body by the blood.

The liver is the organ which is primarily responsible for metabolizing alcohol, and is able to process only a certain amount per hour.

For this reason, the quantity and speed of consumption must be controlled. The body is only able to process 90% of the alcohol consumed, with the remaining 10% being expelled through other means such as breath, sweat, tears and breastmilk.

What factors determine the body’s ability to eliminate alcohol?

It depends on factors such as gender, age, weight and height, among others.

Why can men consume a larger amount of alcohol than women?

Men have a greater hepatic capacity, that is, their liver is able to metabolize alcohol more rapidly.

How much alcohol can a healthy liver metabolize?

A healthy liver is able to metabolize around one standard drink of 10 grams of pure alcohol per hour (men) or hour and a half (women).

This data is approximate, and is calculated for a healthy person of average weight and height.

What are the main effects of alcohol in the short term?

When drinking alcohol, people become uninhibited from the first glass. By the third glass, information processing is impaired. Then, by around the fifth glass, there is a delay in reactions and responses, and a lack of control over psychomotor functions.

Benefits of drinking wine

Drinking wine in moderation forms part of a healthy lifestyle, according to the guidelines on encouraging healthy habits and lifestyles among the population promoted by the WHO.   It has been widely demonstrated that moderate wine consumption provides health benefits, which together with an active, balanced and healthy lifestyle, can lead to health improvements. We highlight some of these benefits:

  1. Moderate wine drinkers have a lower mortality rate than those who abstain or drink in excess.
  2. It reduces death due to heart disease.
  3. It is beneficial for the brain, as it contributes to preventing degenerative brain diseases.
  4. It increases our endorphins: By enjoying the smell and taste characteristics that are unique to wine, our bodies release endorphins, which relax us and enable us to enjoy the experience more.
  5. It reduces cholesterol: Red wine is rich in polyphenols, chemical substances that are rich in antioxidants, which prevents the formation of blood clots and aids the reduction of so-called “bad” cholesterol.
  6. It reduces the risk of cancer: Resveratrol is a natural resource which is capable of blocking, for example, the growth of cells responsible for breast or lung cancer.